martes, 21 de mayo de 2013

Biker: Amber Arbucci


Amber Arbucci is a wildlife photographer and model. You may have seen her in ads for Victoria’s Secret or in the pages of GQ. She also rides around Los Angeles on a Yamaha R6. We took her out for a slice of pizza and talked bikes. Photos: Arto Saari


RA: How’d you get into motorcycles?


Amber: I was born in Newport Beach, Florida, very close to Daytona. They have the bike race there annually and I was always brought to bike week. I got very used to being around motorcycles and just fell in love with them, even just the sound they make.


RA: Is that why you started on a Harley?


Amber: Yes. My sister married a motocross racer, but I was more into cruisers, so I got a Harley. You’re not going to be racing around on a superbike in Miami anyway, it’s obnoxious. So I rode that Harley Sportster 883 for a while and now I ride superbikes.



RA: What prompted that transition?


Amber: I rode my friend’s R1. I was so impressed with the power, it was like being pulled by gravity.


RA: When did you move to LA?


Amber: Like two years ago. Then I got the R6 a year and a half ago.


RA: Have you done anything to grow into the sport, any schools or anything?


Amber: Last summer, my girlfriend and I rode up to the MotoGP in Monterrey.


RA: Which route did you take?


Amber: The shady route, up the coast and through the mountains.


Lunch at Pizzanista with proprietor Salman Agah. Best slice in LA.


RA: Why don’t more people like you ride?


Amber: Most women who do ride, ride cruiser bikes. Superbikes are so much more fun. Why do people like me not ride? Probably because they’re too busy modeling.


RA: But girls in general, they don’t take it up.


Amber: Girls in general are fearful of a lot of adventurous things. I didn’t have a lot of girlfriends growing up, I was more of an adventurous type.



RA: Do you friends try and encourage you not to ride?


Amber: Every single one of them, except for the onese that ride too. Those guys have been in really bad wrecks. I don’t want to wreck, of course, but I also don’t want to get my leg bitten off by a shark either. If you’re passionate about something, you have to take risks.


RA: Tell us about the shark thing.


Amber: People are starting to recognize me as the shark girl.


I got into shark diving about seven years ago and started taking their pictures. On my second dive ever, I was in the water with Tiger and Bull sharks, without really knowing how to scuba dive. It was intense.


The next dive I did was with Great Whites. I was the second woman ever to do that without a cage. Smallest shark I swam with was 16 feet long and the largest, 21 feet. That’s half the size of a humpback whale. You just gotta show them who’s boss and they’ll leave you alone.


RA: What kind of riding do you do here in LA?


Amber: I ride the canyons. I got a photo posted on The Rock Store two Sundays ago.


I’d like to do track days, but I can never make it because I have so many photo shoots.



RA: Do you have a car?


Amber: I have two cars and one bike. A custom ’72 Bronco that’s matte army green, with big black tires and a bikini top. And I just bought a Fiat 500; the Bronco isn’t conducive to normal car stuff, that’s why.


RA: Now that you’re riding regularly, do you find yourself choosing the company of bikers over normal people?


Amber: Yeah, for sure. If I see someone has a bike, I know we have something in common.


RA: You’re an angel investor too?


Amber: I was an investor at Uber. I helped with their marketing and commercial campaign and got double the shares in the company.


RA: How’d you get into that?


Amber: Back when Brad Koenig was the biggest male model in the world, he showed me how to trade stocks. I was hooked.


I invested in Elon Musk’s first company at $30 a share and tripled it in a few weeks. A few days ago, I bought into his other company, SolarCity. Those shares are up 27 percent. Anything this guy’s behind. He always protects his interests and always figures everything out ahead of time.


RA: How’d you get to the point where you could become an investor?


Amber: How did I get the money? Modeling. And, the last few years, I’ve been selling my photos, which has really taken off. I never thought I’d get to the point where my art would sell, but I risk my life to do it and now it’s paying off.


Amber at home, sitting below one of her photos.


RA: What’s the fascination with animals?


Amber: I remember my first dream, I was swimming with whale sharks. To this day, I dream about animals five out of seven nights. I don’t have sex dreams. I grew up in the country and we had pigs and dogs and alligators in the backyard.


I’ve always been fascinated with African animals and I got to the point with modeling where I could go shoot them. Then, I’d miss modeling shoots because I was in Africa taking photos. I can die happy right now because I’m doing what I’ve always wanted.


RA: When did you start modeling?


Amber: I started quite late. I graduated high school at 16, studied medicine in college and assisted at three different hospitals with surgery. At 21 I left home and started modeling, but I’ve kept photography and art at the forefront and now I’m living my passion and trying new things I haven’t done. My next thing is to dive with hippos. No one’s ever done that before, but I’m going to go and shoot photos.


RA: Holy crap. The water must be very murky….


Amber: The water is brown, but you can still see the hippos. I know what I’m doing.


I’d rather die riding a motorcycle or shooting animals than doing something boring.



The post Biker: Amber Arbucci appeared first on RideApart.







via RideApart http://rideapart.com/2013/05/biker-amber-arbucci/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HellForLeather+%28Hell+For+Leather%29

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario